View of Blanes from Sant Joan
The town of Blanes, in the comarca of la Selva, is placed in the left of the mouth of river Tordera and is the meridional end of the Costa Brava.
It shows a diverse coastal landscape with 4 kilometers of beaches (Treumal, Sant Francesc, Santa Anna, Blanes, S'Abanell) and also rocky cliffs.
As outstanding architectural elements there is the church of Santa Maria de Blanes, a Gothic building constructed among ends of the 14th century and principles of XV that formed a set with the Palau of the Viscounts of Cabrera, and the Castle of Sant Joan de Blanes, built in the 13th century, where was added a tower -for the attacks of the pirates- during the 16th century that at present draws the characteristic skyline of Blanes.
Also higlight two botanical gardens, the Jardí Botànic Marimurtra and the Jardí Botànic de Pinya Rosa.
The first historical traces of the city are from an iberian settlement in the south of the mountain of Sant Joan towards the 3rd century BD. During the Romanization the village received the name of Blanda or Blandae that has derived in the current toponymy.
Of the feudal period there is the reference of the Castle of Blanes or Forcadell in a document of the viscount Sunifred de Girona, the year 1002. This castle passed in hands of the Cabrera in the middle of the 11th century and the following generations kept on making new constructions around the castle, raising the viscount palace, the new parish church, reworking the wall, opening new portals and streets, the Gothic fountain of the Ample street and the hospital of Sant Jaume for poor people (1423).
The port of Blanes kept on taking historical significance thanks to its situation, of the that historical references like in the moment of accommodating the Christian fleet in the first pisanocatalana expedition to go to the conquest of the Balearic Islands have themselves the year 1113.
In the war of Segadors the Castilian troops set fire to the city (1652), sending the defenders to galleys, and also destroyed later the viscount palace (1694).
During the 18th century the shipyards of Blanes lived its best moment, what made the town have a strong growth with all the technical advances of the period, until finals of century when the situation worsened.
Last nights of July can be enjoyed the Fireworks contest, with the 38th edition this year.
Pavelló d'esports de Blanes
Carrer Josep Tarradellas, 2
17300 BLANES (Girona)
Tel. (972) 35.23.22
City hall of Blanes
Street serach of Blanes
Situation of Blanes
|HOW TO ARRIVE|
• BY COACH
Girona - Blanes
Barcelona - Blanes
Girona Airport - Blanes
Coach SAGALÉS (Timetable)
Railway station: linked with L4 and L6 lines. (see below)
* Blanes-Barcelona-Airoport: Rodalies Renfe
* Blanes-Girona-Figueres-Portbou: Regionals Renfe
• BY BUS
* Line 4 Pl. Catalunya – Els Pins – Terminal– Railway station – Anselm Clavé.
* Line 6 Lloret de Mar – Mas Borinot – Mas Enlaire – Railway station (Gi-682).
More info Autocars Pujol
• BY ROAD
Connexion with highway AP-7: in 20 km, exit 9 to Hostalric.
Connexion with highway C-32: in 6 km, to Palafolls.
Gi-600 Links Blanes with the road A2 ( former N-II ) to Tordera.
Gi-682 links, by south, with Palafolls and Malgrat de Mar, to Barcelona. Links, by north, with Lloret de Mar.